Saturday, February 20, 2010

Why I create Art Dolls

Today I spent some time looking over pictures of all the Art Dolls that I have created since 2004. It is sometimes amazing how our Art changes as we ourselves change, whether it is simply by getting older, or transitions in our life. Creating Art Dolls is one of the most satisfiying things in my life. I become inspired on their themes by so many things. Sometimes its simply a color that generates the idea, sometimes a memory, and other times the story comes before the doll. The possibilities are endless in creating them, but the thing that I love the most is watching the reactions that people have when they see them.
When doing an art market or show, I watch the patrons walking through…some seem as if they are on a definitive mission – not in the mood to browse, but are power walking while scanning the vendors looking for a particular thing. I myself can not imagine exploring like this, how much you may possibly miss ! But then other swill slowly meander through the aisles, curious and examining each and every thing. Now the thing that I love is when women come by my booth…they STOP. Inquisitive. Exploring. They seem to be pulled out of the rat race and completely come into focus. And then….the smile. “Oh, doesn’t that one remind you of Aunt Emma !” or ” Oh, she reminds me of when I used to be a weaver!” “Oh, my sister would love that, it’s just like her.”
I try to represent so many facets of women, whether in reality or in our dream worlds. I want them to remind you of your past, your present, and your future. I want them to make you feel as if you can do anything. And I want them to make you fully embrace life and enjoy every moment of being a woman !

Featured Post

The Arrival a Women's Empowerment Spirit Doll

The Arrival is one of my most popular spirit dolls, inspired from a poem that I wrote some years ago.  The Arrival "I...